Technology and I (Me)

We were at our friend's house the other day enjoying a lovely barbecue in the garden with his family. It was warm and sunny and all was well and wonderful.

Until ...

I asked my friend if he had a newspaper.

"Join the 21st Century" he laughed, "we don't have newspapers in this house. Here have my Kindle!"

Well ... that wasp certainly did not know what hit it as it went to meet its maker.

For some reason my friend became furiously angry as bits of plastic broke off from his Kindle and started flying all over the place. He started calling me all sort of unrepeatable names ... some of which I'd never heard before nor knew their meaning!

Everyone stopped what they were doing in shock and amazement.

He calmed down a little when his 4 year old child asked innocently what some of the words meant.

But he went mad again when I tried to explain the meanings of the words I'd heard before.

When he'd calmed down once again he explained what a Kindle was and its purpose.

"Oh ..." I said, "I thought it was a mouse mat for the computer, or a fly swatter. It looks the right size to be both!"

He thought I was being funny ... which I wasn't, I assure you.

I calmed him down before he started boiling over again by offering to buy him another Kindle ... whatever that is.

He then went on about the number of books on his Kindle and other documents and pictures which were now lost forever and had to be "downloaded" again.

Is there a techy character out there who can tell me whether you can transfer books from a broken Kindle to a new one?

Failing that, can you tell me where one can obtain newspapers or magazines which can be rolled up and used to swat flies and other insects?