Auntie’s Phone Antics



I was at the computer working. Aunt Gertrude picked up the phone and rasped in Australian “Mornin’ to ye. What can I do for ye t’day?

… … …

“He’s busy right now … can’t it wait cobber?

… … …

“Important? I tell you mate! The Good Lord Himself took six days to make the whole universe and what’s in it; He then put His feet up and had a rest on the seventh day. What could be more important than that?

… … …

“You fellas are always rushing around in a hurry like a wallaby with diarrhea. I always told my second husband not to rush, but would he listen? Then one day in his rush he fell down the stairs, broke his neck and died, and I was left to raise the kids alone. Now is that worth rushing for, I ask ye?

… … …

“As I said, he is busy. He will phone ye back when ready ma darlin’. He's such a fusspot you know, and ever so slow. He’ll never be the first fly on a dog’s poo … not him!

… … …

“Fair dinkum mate. I’ll get him to phone ye!”

I asked her who was on the phone as she finished talking.

“Some fella called Robbie MacNamara … Told ’im you’ll ring back when you’re less busy!” she replied.

“Robbie MacNamara?” I cried, “that’s my boss. He is the Director of Finance. You don’t talk to him like that!”

“I thought he was a telephone marketing person selling you something or other,” she replied nonchalantly, “seemed a nice fella, must have Australian ancestry I shouldn’t wonder!”

I rang my boss immediately to apologise for my aunt’s outrageous behaviour. He said that she was charming and amusing.

I bet he only said that to annoy me!